Founded in 1981 by Indonesian businessman and philanthropist Sukanto Tanoto and his wife, Tinah Bingei Tanoto, the Tanoto Foundation supports poverty alleviation efforts in Indonesia. Sukanto Tanoto and Tinah Tanoto strongly believe that everyone has an equal right create a better quality of life for themselves and their families, and that the way to do so is through education; which is why the first project the Foundation worked on was building and opening a Kindergarten and elementary school in rural Besitang in North Sumatra, Indonesia in 1981.
In 2001, Tanoto Foundation was officially established in Singapore as a non-profit charitable organisation, privately funded by the Tanoto Family. The Foundation is currently active in Indonesia, China, Singapore and the USA.
The Foundation utilizes a three pronged strategy in their fight against poverty: Education, Empowerment and Enhancing quality of living.
The educational sector of the Tanoto Foundation includes:
- Building and financially assisting schools in rural communities.
- Handing out scholarships to students.
- Teacher training.
- Providing funding for medical research and environmental studies.
Empowerment is achieved through partnering with corporate businesses APRIL and RAPP, both companies founded by Sukanto Tanoto, to:
- Facilitate small to medium business developments through microfinance and vocational training.
- Establish Community Fibre Farms and support them with equipment and training.
- Promote integrated farming systems.
Tanoto Foundation enhances the quality of living in rural areas by:
- Building infrastructures such as roads and community buildings.
- Digging boreholes to provide fresh water.
- Providing free health checks and medical services.
Since launching its first scholarship programme in 2006, the Foundation has expanded the scholarship programme to include five other programme sectors, and has handed out a combined total of over 6700 scholarships to students in schools and universities around Indonesia and Singapore.
Although the Foundation is not an emergency-relief organisation, they do what they can to help in times of great need due to natural disasters. Assistance and relief have been provided by the Foundation and its corporate partners to tsunami, earthquake, landslide and volcanic eruption affected communities.
For more information about Tanoto Foundation or its founder, Sukanto Tanoto visit: